Tuesday, April 10, 2012

When A Spinner Disappears...

...it means she has met someone. Some sheep, that is. To be more specific, the fleece of a sheep. A lovely, soft, crimpy fleece with little grease or VM and a short staple for carding. The sheep is a Corriedale x Shetland Rambouillet ewe, and I am absolutely in love with her fiber.
Here it is raw:

Fleece (unwashed)

And washed:

Fleece (washed)

Spindle shot:

Spinning the fleece

I'm a fickle spinner. The main reason I'm using my spindles is because my wheel bobbins are full of some california red fleece, which will be a 3 ply, and a white merino/silk blend which I am planning to keep as singles and make into a shawl... either Maplewing or something from Knitted Lace of Estonia by Nancy Bush- if I can face nupps.

I am spinning the singles quite thin, with a short draw as there are some neps which I am picking out here and there. I am trying out a variety of plying methods. This is a sample of my 2-ply:

handspun

It came to about 105 yards and 18 grams. I knit it into a very pretty lace sample:

Lace from handspun

The edges are wonky because I was too lazy to get out my blocking wires for such a little sample. Avi likes it so much and wants it to be used as a doily, so I guess I'll have to get out my steamer to fix the edges!
I used 3.5mm needles, which seemed just about the right balance of laciness and stitch definition.

Close up:

Lace detail

Do you see the owl? So cute! I am pretty sure I will use this stitch pattern for a shawl, if I can settle on an edging.

I finished the three ply and I'm knitting it up now, but I don't like it as much. I'm doing some lace and cables, but I think it will be best for colorwork, actually. I'm going to be doing a lot of dyeing this week so I'm going to throw some of this stuff in the pot when I'm done another hank. I'm pretty sure it's going to take dye beautifully. I've started spinning for a cabled 4-ply, which is the yarn I think I'm aiming for, for a sweater. However, the yarn might surprise me... and I love surprises!

This particular fleece came from Wooly Wool of the West. She was very helpful and patient with all my questions and I love the fleeces I get from her.

1 comment:

From Helen's Perch said...

I like all the photos, showing your progress and your enjoyment of the process!